Friday, March 30, 2012

Two weeks - itinerary suggestions

I am traveling for two weeks (for the first time) with my boyfriend who is stationed in Paderborn. I thought we could drive to Berlin to start our two week adventure. I would love any suggestions on what sort of route to take in Germany that would A)See the main sites B)Also suggest some off the beaten track ideas C)Suggest how much time in each area. We will have a car and plan on using it for the full two weeks. I just want to make sure I avoid driving for hours with no direction! Any ideas?






|||



I notice you have not received any response so far. I suggest rather than leave everything open you do a bit research and narrow down your choices. The best would be do start out with some itinerary and then let people pick it apart.





One suggestion: Take the train from Paderborn to Berlin, and pick up your car when you are coming to the end of your stay. A car is just a nuisance in Berlin.





Here are a couple of suggestions for you to look up: Drive from Berlin to Leipzig and Dresden. Then head southwest toward Bamberg -Rothenburg - Fuessen. Return to Koblenz via via Lindau - Freiburg - Baden-Baden - Heidelberg - Fankfurt, drive along the Rhein.Drop off car in Koblenz and take train back to Paderborn.




|||



Treplow%26#39;s suggestion makes a lot of sense, Lboogie. You should definitely take in the Rhine valley with its castles, vineyards and lovely little towns and villages. The Deutsche Eck in Koblenz is famous, it%26#39;s the confluence of Moselle and Rhine and has a huge memorial to Wilhelm II, last emperor of Germany. Bit touristy but still worth seeing. You could also go further up the Rhine valley to Bonn, a lovely town and the former capital.



Just a question, though, are you hiring the car or is it a car that your boyfriend owns? Because obviously you won%26#39;t have to return the car if it%26#39;s yours. If you%26#39;re hiring make sure to enquire about charges applying to renting the car in one place but returning it in another place.



Get yourself a good map of Germany, have a look at the route Treplow suggested and see what you think. It%26#39;s a lot of driving but that way you%26#39;ll see loads of beautiful Germany!



Good luck with your planning, have a wonderful trip!




|||



You need to define your likes a bit. A good place to start is a travel book. I like Michelin Green Guide for Germany, but others have their favorites.





Michelin%26#39;s has a couple maps up front that lay out the principal sights and possible driving routes. Look up a couple places and see if the appeal to your imagination. We were stationed in Germany as well and our trip planning usually started with the Michelin.





Regards, Gary




|||



You don%26#39;t mention when you are travelling. There is the possibility to attend an exotic interesting event like the Narrensprung in Rottweil (Alemmanic carnival in February) or spring or fall beer festivals, etc. The suggestion to use the Michelin Green guide is good, although I have never used one for Germany but for other countries. I like to look at books full of pictures (use your library, and not only just travel books) and from them select places of interest to visit. I personally have non-travel books about areas and places in Germany, castles, monasteries, churches, etc. which help me when I want to visit places in Germany.





Because you will have a car, I would concentrate mainly on non-urban areas where driving and parking would be easier. In and close to cities use the excellent public transportation. There are two places that I think shouldn%26#39;t be missed, Neuschwanstein Castle (for lovely views of the lit-up by night castle and an excellent hotel stay at the Villa Jaegerhaus in Hohenschwangau) and the walled town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Both are likely to be jam-packed with tourists in the summer, so if possible visit at another time of year, or wander around in the early morning or evening when most have disappeared. I also like Schwaebisch Hall (also see nearby walled Comburg Monastery), by visiting the new modern art museum there you can get a nice mix of new and old Germany and the contrast is interesting. For a similar effect, my favorite sight in the Staatsgalerie art museum in Stuttgart is Hansen%26#39;s life-like cleaning lady sitting on the floor in front of more classical art.





An off the beaten track idea is to visit the state stables at Marbach south of Stuttgart. The stables are in the pleasant countryside of the Scwaebische Alb. You can enter the actual stables and be near to these magnificent large high-spirited animals. Nearby is also the very picturesque Lichtenstein Castle sitting on the edge of a high cliff. It and nearby Hohenzollern Castle (Hechingen) are fairy tale-like castles that rival Neuschwanstein, but there is only one Neuschwanstein, best I think in the snow. I personally like Oberschwaben (between Ulm and the Bodensee-Lake Constance). It is full of wonderful baroque churches and monasteries. Steinhausen (south of Biberach) has been called the most beautiful village church in the world, rightfully by me and my wife.





Germany is full of wonderful things to see and do, you can hardly go wrong wherever you decide to visit.




|||



This is fantastic advice, I really appreciate it since I%26#39;ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed! My trip starts March 25 until April 7th. I would love to go to any festivals or events during this time so that there is that special something to look forward to. Again, thank you!




|||



Unfortunately, I think that your trip will be between most festivals. Carnival will be over and the Spring festivals will probably begin in later April into early May. I asked my German wife and she couldn%26#39;t think of any either. You should have a nice trip anyways, there is plenty of other things to see and do.




|||



Well, Lboogie, all I can say is: have a wonderful trip. I hope everything will turn out the way you want and that you will enjoy Germany and have a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment