Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Germany in February

My husband and I will be in the Cologne area from February 4 to February 10. We will have a car. What are some %26quot;must sees%26quot; in that area ? We are also concerned about road conditions.



jeannie2




|||



Hi Jeannie2, I only dip into the German forum every now and then and saw your post languishing on page 3 or whatever. So I am %26quot;bumping%26quot; it up again for you (this means it will appear again on page 1 of the forum). So hopefully someone here will be able to give you some hints before you travel.



If you%26#39;re into culture, Cologne has some wonderful museums and galleries. I suppose, the dome is a must if you must... Shopping is good, too.



It%26#39;s pretty cold in Germany at the moment but I believe it%26#39;s supposed to get milder. Roads get gritted regularly and if you take all the usual precautions (hey, Oregon - you know how to take care in winter conditions...) you%26#39;ll be perfectly okay!



Have a lovely time!




|||



It%26#39;s just a shame you won%26#39;t be in Cologne about 2 weeks later. Cologne has the largest Fasching (Mardi Gras) celebration, outside of Rio De Janiero and New Orleans, in the world. I believe Mardi Gras Tuesday this year comes on Feb. 28. At any rate, you should catch some of the pre-Mardi Gras festivities.





P.S. Not so much in Cologne, but in the rural areas that surround it, watch out for black ice (they call it Glatteis) on less traveled roads. I once hit a patch and nearly put a VW Combi into the Rhein river.

No comments:

Post a Comment