Saturday, April 21, 2012

Summer Visit

I am tentatively planning a summer visit to Germany. I will eventually end up in the far northern tip of the country to visit the place of my father%26#39;s birth. Interested in any suggestions in respect to itinerary for 10-14 days. I will not require lush accomodations - just clean- for my brother and I. Thanks.






|||



The far nothern tip of Germany is List on the island Sylt.





Can you point to a town or district your father came from?



Mostlikely this place should be somewhere in the state Schleswig-Holstein



schleswig-holstein.info/english/angebot.php





For this part of the country Hamburg is of course a must visit



http://www.hamburg-tourism.de/




|||



My wife and I spent about 18 months in Bremerhaven in the north of Germany. We also lived in several other places in Germany. I was in the army as was my wife%26#39;s father. We are returning to Germany in the spring and thought of a quick visit to Bremerhaven but it takes a day train ride to get there so we passed.





If you like the sea it might be best to develop an itinerary that stays in the north, perhaps taking in parts of the Netherlands and/or Denmark as well as Germany. I liked Goslar and Luebeck in northern Germany. Never visited Hamburg, sorry to say. Amsterdam suited me well but I know that some find it a bit raunchy in places. Copenhagen is beautiful. I also liked the small towns of Riba and Abrena in Jutland, Denmark.





If renting a car, you might consider a drive through the Rhine or Mosel Valleys and then north, perhaps by way of Goslar. You could fly into Frankfurt and out of Hamburg, Copenhagen or Amsterdam.





Some grist for your mill.





Regards, Gary




|||



Keep in mind that the FIFA World Cup will be from June 9 to July 9. Hotel space will be in short supply and prices much higher. http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/




|||



Thanks to all.





Abalada, you are correct. It appears the final destination will be an area listed as Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein. Another area identified is Danschendorf/Fehmarn Island. The names of some of these areas may have changed over time.




|||



Kiel is the state capital of Schleswig-Holstein.



http://www.kiel-tourist.de/e/index.html



Most famous for the world%26#39;s biggest sailing event, the Kieler Woche (17.-25. June 2006).



http://www.kieler-woche.de/eng/maineng.asp





Dänschendorf (or Daenschendorf) is north-west of Landkirchen on Fehmarn



fehmarn-ferienwohnung.de/karte/pickarte-a.JPG





Fehmarn is a classical Summer vacation destination. Thus there are quite many accommodation offers, but esp. for July/August it may be difficult to find something without booking in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment