Thursday, April 19, 2012

FourPoint By Sheraton

Does anyone know if the FourPoint hotel in DUSSELDORF is in a good location? (i.e. close enough to old-town so when i try to walk back after some drinks i don%26#39;t have to be concerned about ending up in Belgium). I will be there alone for two weekend nights 12/9-12/11. Want to make sure I don%26#39;t check myself into the Kansas of Deutschland. Otherwise, I can always drive to another city. Bonke Schon! p.s. Please tell me I am not going to be bored there being alone.




|||



Good question. I%26#39;m going to be staying at the same hotel for the same nights! Bizarre!


From where it is on the map it doesn%26#39;t look too far from the Old town. Let%26#39;s hope the hotel is up to the usual Sheraton quality.


Check out the christmas markets, drink the gluhwein and enjoy your weekend! I%26#39;ll be the mischievious drunk one on the ice skates knocking small children over!




|||



Good question. I%26#39;m going to be staying at the same hotel for the same nights! Bizarre!


From where it is on the map it doesn%26#39;t look too far from the Old town. Let%26#39;s hope the hotel is up to the usual Sheraton quality.


Check out the christmas markets, drink the gluhwein and enjoy your weekend! I%26#39;ll be the mischievious drunk one on the ice skates knocking small children over!




|||



SC, too bad I didn%26#39;t see your post sooner. Dusseldorf was a blast or what!? Nothing beats singing Bon Jovi 5am in the old town w/ some wasted German colleagues. Still nursing the hangover. This is what I remembered of the hotel - I woke up freezing on Sat noon w/ a splitting headache. The windows were wide open. All the lights were on, and the room was filled with steam as the shower was for some reason running on full blast but I was still fully dressed from the night before. Now I feel obligated to leave them a good review for running up the heating/water bill. Hope you enjoyed yourself too and be nice to the children :) Now, just for kicks...Warsaw %26amp; Milano next Feb...




|||



Ah - oh well - glad you had a good time. Hotel was pretty good - on the lower side of 4 star for me, but still clean, comfortable and pleasant - and not that far from the Old Town. I went to the Uerige (spelling?) beer hall and drank the night away - as well as taking in much gluhwein and eggnog. We got on the Sunday morning and caught the 0840 to Amsterdam... ugh!



Have fun in Milano :) I%26#39;m off to Iceland next week!!




|||



By the way, Q, I did Warsaw in July this year - it%26#39;s fab. If you are heading to Auschwitz, prepare for a long drive. I hired a car and it was 8 hours round trip - yeah - it doesn%26#39;t look that far on the map, but believe me, it is. Still - totally worth it. Better off basing yourself in Krakow if that%26#39;s the main reason for your visit though.



Oh, and sometimes when you order a vodka cocktail - it comes in 4 shot glasses - very odd!!




|||



Hi SC, you seemed pretty well traveled in EU, yah? so I could use some of your advice please – where should I spend an extra weekend this coming feb? Warsaw or Milan? (both are cold, I know) What are some day trips I can take from either city? $$ is not a concern. I like anything active, i.e. winter sports. (Is Milan close by to the winter Olympic sites?) I also enjoys anything culturally different and photography. Clubs and bars also sound good, but I guess it will depend on who I ran into... Your inputs will be much appreciated!! Thanks!



p.s. what the hell is a girl from Sydney doing in Iceland in winter?! There are other ways to get a tan you know :) But, was it fun?!




|||



Hi Q,



Reasonably travelled I guess - 32 countries worldwide and counting :)



As for Warsaw v%26#39;s Milan - I can only give a one sided view on this one. Warsaw is great - but I%26#39;d probably base myself in Krakow in preference for easier access to Auschwitz, which is a total must, regardless of your religion. Milan I have not been to - but I love Italy, so I%26#39;d hesitate to recommend one over the other outright. Depends on what you really want to get out of a few days. I always ask myself that first. Are you wanting well known city sights, atmosphere, something sporty or maybe a total chill-out. It%26#39;s like food I guess - all depends on what you are hungry for!



Milan I don%26#39;t think is particularly close to ski areas (at least not for a day trip) although I am sure someone on the Italy forum will be able to tell you.



If I were to head somewhere in europe in February that was wintry (face it, you%26#39;re not going to get beach weather in Feb!) and culturally different, then why not push the boat right out to Russia? Or Sweden. Oooooh - Finland - that would rock the most. Grab yourself a log cabin near their snow resorts and strap on a pair (of skis, that is). Finland is not super mountainous, so if you are not a pro, the gentle slopes would be ideal for you.



What was I doing in Iceland for NYE? Well, read my trip report on the Iceland forum and find out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment